I have so many more ideas for dyeing that I am back to it!
Creamsicle cotton gauze scarf
This beautiful orange Arashi Shibori or pole wrapped piece unwrapped into a beautiful cream and orange scarf. It reminded my husband of a favourite childhood ice cream treat – the Creamsicle!
Creamsicle cotton gauze scarf unwrapped
Here it is partially unwrapped, once washed it is a softer colour.
Radicchio 2 cotton gauze scarf
I was asked to make a scarf similar to the Arashi Shibori scarf in raspberry that I wrote about in July. I didn’t keep track of the colours I mixed to create that shade and was challenged to recreate the colour.
Radicchio cotton gauze scarf
Arashi Shibori raspberry
They aren’t exactly the same, but very similar. When I first unwrapped the raspberry coloured scarf, washed and dried it, the colour and veining reminded me of radicchio. Radicchio is a beautiful Italian chicory lettuce that grows in a tightly wrapped ball. The leaf is a purpley red while the veins are white. Next time you are at the grocery store look for it – the colour is gorgeous.
I am also dyeing scarves in a silk/cotton blend and a linen/rayon blend. I’ll have more photographs of those scarves as well as some velvet that I’ll be making into pillows.
This is the last postcard I created for the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild swap. With this postcard I tried a technique that was new to me – trapunto. I added a layer of quilt batting behind the butterfly, stitched around the outline and cut away the excess batting. This was then layered over a 5″ x 7″ piece of batting and backing. The strips were added in a quilt as you go style through the batting and backing.
All the fabrics used in this postcard are from Cotton + Steel. This year at QuiltCon, Cotton + Steel had a large display booth with all of their fabric lines on display. They also had sewing stations set up for quilters to make and take a small project using their fabrics. The last day of the conference, attendees were allowed to go through the scraps and fill a bag to take home with them. The recipient of this postcard and I were one of those waiting for the conference to officially close so we could fill our bag.
Back of the Postcard
The back of the postcard is a solid white cotton that is fused to a heavy weight fusible interfacing. I used an ultra fine permanent ink marker to add the information. Postage is the same as it would be for any postcard mailed in Canada.
The presidents of the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild suggested we do a fun min-activity since the guild doesn’t meet during July and August. I signed up to make three postcards and will receive three back.
This tiny house emerged from the scraps with a trellis waiting for flowers.
Tiny House with embroidery
Embroidery floss and hand dyed perle cotton stitches are added to bring out the personality of the house.
Tiny House postcard
The finished pieces is layered with a stiff fusible interfacing and finished with a satin stitch around the edges in a variegated thread.
The next postcard for the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild swap uses a different technique and I know my recipient will recognize the fabrics. Stay tuned for the next quilted art postcard I made for the swap,
The Toronto Modern Quilt Guild doesn’t meet during the summer months, but to keep us active our Presidents have organized a Postcard Swap. Interested members of the guild have signed up to make and receive up to three postcards. This is a casual no stress activity with no themes or restrictions, we could do whatever made us happy. I signed up to make three postcards and will receive three in return.
Flowers postcard in process
The postcards only need to be received before August 31st and the participants are asked to bring in the postcards they will receive to the meeting in September.
Once the pieces were fused, I began to add detail with embroidery. I enjoyed this part of the process much more than I expected to. I used embroidery floss and perle cotton, including some I hand dyed! To finish this little flower garden, I embroidered my initials, added a tiny bumble bee and satin stitched the edges with a variegated thread.
I will be posting photos of the other two postcards I made for the swap in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned!