This lightweight wool scarf was dyed a few weeks ago. I folded and clamped it with a wooden resist. It was then dipped into blue and green Procion MX dyes. The bundle was placed in the steamer to set the dye.
I dyed two cotton gauze scarves and one piece of pfd cotton at the same time. This is the last batch of snow dyed fabric for winter 2016!
My favourite Shibori technique is Arashi – where the fabric is wrapped around a pole, scrunched down and the dye applied. I wanted to try this technique in combination with the unpredictability of snow dyeing. I was very surprised and pleased with the results.
There is a lovely pattern on the gauze scarf created by the resist that looks feathers.
The other gauze scarf was loosely pleated along the length, twisted tightly and placed in the same tray. This scarf has more variation in colours where the red, yellow and blue dyes combined to make green, orange and browns.
The last piece I dyed was a metre of cotton folded into a wedge to create a beautiful Mandala.
This is a very vibrant piece that reminds me of a luscious slice of an exotic tropical fruit!
I was intrigued by the mandala shape I snow dyed earlier in the month and wanted to try making a few more. I folded cotton in various sized wedges, piled on snow, and then finished by pouring on the yellow, blue and turquoise Procion MX dyes.
The three manadalas absorbed different amounts of the dyes, creating three very distinct designs.
It is always a delight unfolding and rinsing out the cotton fabric after snow dyeing. You never really know what to expect.
The bright green and blue are a reminder that spring is on its way!
I scrunched up the first metre of the pfd cotton in a small container, and began layering the leftover dyes. I started with the red dye.
Next came another layer of cotton and then the blue dye. You can see some light purple where the red and blue dyes mixed.
The last layer of cotton was then saturated with the black dye. The more you manipulate the fabrics, the more the colours will migrate to other layers. I didn’t manipulate the layers after I added the black, so there is no evidence of the red and very little of the blue on this topmost layer. It is still a very attractive piece.
I forgot to include this snow dyed piece in my post last week. It is a lightweight cotton that was light olive in colour before it was dyed. The Nui shibori designs were made by stitching circles and diamonds.
My second day of snow dyeing resulted in more unique fabrics. The colours I used were similar but I used a less concentrated solution of dye. The result is more of the white background showing.
I also dyed two pieces of cotton canvas that I will use to make a tote bag. I folded the canvas as I did the PFD (prepared for dyeing) cotton that resulted in the mandala shape.
The canvas, of course is a much heavier fabric, so the design is not as detailed. as in the other fabrics. I look forward to seeing these two pieces sewn up.
My most favorite piece in this batch of snow dyeing is the honeycomb design that resulted below.
It’s snowing again and I’ve already prepared three more pieces of cotton. They are folded in wedge shapes and are covered with freshly fallen snow, yellow, turquoise and navy blue dyes. I can’t believe that I am happy to see the snow falling!